In Pride and Prejudice, it is widely viewed that Elizabeth Bennet has prejudice, and that Fitzwilliam Darcy is proud. And these views can be understood; she misjudges him, and he is resistant to her because of his pride, but honestly I think that their supposed classifications ought to be switched.
Mr. Darcy first sees Elizabeth and says that she is "not handsome enough to tempt me." Actually, he doesn't even really see her, he just looks her way to humor his friend. Grumpy and prejudiced about the inhabitants of the countryside (and really, anywhere outside of the fanciest parts of town) he assumes that she is boring and ugly and common. I actually think that a major part of the story is realizing that all his prejudiced ideas are wrong and that he in in love with her.
He also prematurely judges people based on the actions of others. He makes simply unforgivable remarks on Mrs. Bennet and Lydia, and it takes time for him to learn that the two eldest Bennets are nothing like the rest of their family.
Lizzy, on the other hand, is quite insufferable! Just kidding, she isn't really that insufferable- maybe a little, but certainly not insufferable enough too warrant a quite- but I wanted to use the word. Anyhow, Lizzy is, in a way, much more proud than Darcy. The ENTIRE reason she hates him so much is because he said she wasn't temptingly pretty. Now, as she is at least moderately so, you know that he doesn't really hurt her feelings. However, it's a blow to her ego. She was proud, and he insulted it. He also deals a few blows to other types of pride, particularly family pride. He, as I said before, insults her family directly. That knocks her off her pedestal. You know what, I think that Darcy's type of pride is less significant than Lizzy's because it is justified. She is proud of her life, her family, her home-- but honestly, it's not that great. She is a poorish girl with a nutso family living on a farm estate named Longbourn. (Personally, I think it's very strange to name your house. And even if you do, can't you pick a name like Bill or Brenda? Honestly, people seem to be terrible at naming nonliving objects! Longbourn, Pemberly, Skyfall-- bad names!) Lizzy does not have so much to be proud of.
Darcy, on the other hand has a nice sister, a gorgeous house with grounds that make up "half of Derbyshire" and a humongous lake with fish. When I get my own lake, I'll be proud of it too! So lay off Darcy. Lizzy is the one with the worse pride. And, similiarly, lay off Lizzy! Darcy is certainly more prejudiced. She judges him, but not until after he's been nasty to her. He judges her before even knowing who she is, and that is the worst type of prejudice. Social class-ism.
Their personalities are really different as assumed. They both have pride and prejudice; perhaps that's what makes them such a good couple.
No comments:
Post a Comment